Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mission Moment: Packing

So the majority of the questions I have been asked about pertain to luggage and packing.

 I get it, I am sure that you all are in the same boat as me, and wondering what in the heck you are going to do. When you look at your list at first, you think, "Well there really is not that much stuff I need" but when you start getting all of your things, the thought changes to, "How in the heck am I going to fit all of this in?!"

Well, here to help you are the packing geniuses at International Luggage. 


Aren't they great? I actually met them last year at an LDS Booksellers convention, and happened to be working the booth right next to them. Small world right?! Mark is the owner and Becky is his right-hand woman. They are just so pleasant to be around!

So the concept is pretty simple- you fold the stuff on top of each other and even get your hangers in there too. I am a living testimony that this works. I have used this system for every business trip since, and when I helped my best friend pack for her mission we had plenty of room left in her luggage, and trust me- she brought a ton of clothes!

Also packing cubes work my friends. I just don't know why everyone doesn't do this. I seriously will pack like this for the rest of my life. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to get to a place without dressers. These babies work like a charm.

The only thing I cannot quite work out is the whole toiletries in your carry-on, because it might be confiscated if you are slightly off, but your choice.


Now onto the shampoo deal. I really recommend what they said- only bring the trial sized and enough for the MTC. Now I am sure that several girls are freaking out because they are going to a place like Tai Pei, Taiwan or Novosibirsk, Russia and feel like they need to bring 18 months worth of shampoo and conditioner.

With every returned missionary that I have talked to, they actually said that they recommend using the "native"products. Well... native is not the correct term I guess, but you know what I mean. Use what the people use. First of all, if they use it, you will know the product will work well with the environment that you will be in. You will also blend in more with the people too. The church really emphasizes that you should not look like a tourist when you are on your mission. Now I know that someone will not stop you and say that you are obviously an American because your hair smells like Garnier Fructis, (even thought that would be hilarious) but every little bit helps. I even noticed that people from different countries smell a bit differently. Not like in a bad B.O. way, but I have heard that Americans smell like butter! Partly because of the food we eat, and it is true when they say "You are what you eat!" Maybe using their products will help you smell better to them. (Not a very compelling reason, but just go with it).  Lastly, it will let you use your weight for other things that might be important too, like manuals, or... you know, more clothes ;)


Hope this helped! Let me know what other tips you guys wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment